HW Reminders: Turn in your copy of The Alchemist
Warm-up: What does it mean to be a citizen?
1. of or relating to a city or town, especially its administration.
2. of or relating to the duties or activities of people in relation to their town, city, or local area.
Synonyms: municipal, city, town, urban, metropolitan
1) What does it mean to be a citizen who is civically engaged? Explain.
2) What does it mean to take a position on an issue? Explain.
3) If you had to choose a local or statewide issue to take a stance on, what would you choose and why?
In class activity: Oh no!!! It’s 7:20! School starts in less than 20 minutes!!! Let’s assume that you woke up late and desperately need a ride to school. Also, you are flat broke and don’t have a single dollar to your name. Getting through the day today is going to be a bit of a struggle. But you can do it.
Turn to the first person you can think of who might be of assistance in this situation. You need:
a.) a ride to school
b.) at least $5 for lunch.
Prompt: Write your plea of sorts to get what you want and need from this person. Choose a persona to use to convince your audience. Be kind. Be aggressive. Use the pity card. Be a “salesman” if you have to. Do what you need to do. Say what you need to say. We will get up and find people to convince!
Get together with a group of three, share, and decide who's plea is the most persuasive and why.